Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sick Bay

I am home with the swine flu today. Technically, I am home with The Pony, who may or may not have swine flu. He woke up with a headache, a dry cough, and a 99.2 degree fever. This would not have gotten him sent home from school last month when the nurse called me because he had a fever of 100. Nope. She only wanted to know what to dose him with so he could make it to the end of the day. They can do that now, give medicine. As long as the parent signs a form, students can get acetaminophen, ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, calamine lotion, etc.

Lately, however, a fever earns a trip home. Better to be ready than have to scramble in the middle of the day to make Pony arrangements. I don't want my mom around him. So I got a sub and brought The Pony back to the Mansion after dropping off #1 at Newmentia. By 9:45, The Pony was the proud owner of a 100.6 degree fever. It comes and goes. By 2:00, The Pony reported body aches. I am letting the fever do its work for now. Tonight I will dose him up for the overnight hours. He doesn't seem to feel bad, other than the headache. He DID have the seasonal flu shot over three weeks ago, which may or may not help, depending on which study you read. Whatever he's got, it's not the seasonal flu. Gossip-Monger H reported last night that one of the bowling league kids came down with swine flu on Sunday night. The Pony had a scratchy throat yesterday. Who knows when he started feeling symptoms?

I am going to call the doctor and see what to do. No need to trap myself in T-Hoe with the little germ-monger if it's not necessary. If we can treat him at home, fine. If they want to swab his nose, I will haul him to the doctor. Which probably means the nurse practitioner.

I'm off to check on The Pony's fever and pour some fluids into him. His appetite is holding up, though he turned down a sausage biscuit for breakfast because he said it would take him too long to eat it. He consumed some fish sticks for lunch, and has asked for ramen noodles for supper. That's kind of brothy.

I figure it will hit me on the weekend, though I'm doing my best to avoid it. The Pony has been forbidden to breathe on me. So much for that swine flu shot that I didn't plan to get my kids that has not been available around here. Why bother? Ship it off to the starving children in China. Oh. I don't think the Chinese want the swine flu shot. Maybe they think we contaminated it as payback for that toothpaste and pet food.

Aside from some aches, which may or may not be old age or the rainy weather, I feel fine. I gargled some warm salt water for good measure, shot up my daily generic saline nasal spray for stuffiness, and I'm still kickin'.

Don't hate me because I had a day off work. Hate me because I'm building my immunity to the swine flu.

2 comments:

Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Charlie has had the same symptoms off and on. Well, he couldn't tell me that he was achy, but I imagine he was, and his fever went up and down like that, never really getting very high. The first time he had this, I took him to the doctor and they tested him for flu. It was negative, and he was dx w/ sinus infection. This last time he had the same symptoms, but it only lasted one day. :shrug:

Hope the pony feels better soon.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Miss Ann,
Reports of Pony's swine flu are greatly exaggerated. The test was negative. But he will live to swine again.