Thursday, May 21, 2009

Random Thought Thursday 5/21/09

This is the last freakin' day of the neverending school year!

Kids who have been problem children all year are still problem children on the next to last day. Thank the Gummi Mary they stay home on the very last day.

My child, on the other hand, is perfect. The #1 son received 9 awards on Award Day yesterday, which tied him with Basementia Buddy's son for the most awards. Until... the #1 son was named Student of the Year at Basementia. That made 10. He's such a nerd.

The Pony's school only had classroom awards yesterday. He received The Highest Grade Point Average certificate. That's nothing to sneeze at!

Did you know that the back side of the knife is not nearly so good at cutting through a 4-day-old left-over bratwurst as the regular knifey side of the knife? I don't know where my kids got their smarts.

The school lunch yesterday included cheesecake. We have not had cheesecake all year. Mostly we get a whole piece of fruit, or a little tartar-sauce-sized cup of pudding or peaches or pineapples. I did not partake of the cheesecake, this being Cook's Choice week. It begs the question: Did we have that cheesecake all year and were saving it for the last week, or did we buy an insurance salvage lot from Long John Silver's? I think that's the chain on the package. I know it was a fast-food restaurant. Perhaps when they lost power due to the storms a couple weeks ago, Long John did some wheelin' and dealin'.

We got 6 eggs yesterday from our chickens. That's an all-time daily record. HH is building them a new pen so they're not all cooped up. Heh, heh. Get it? COOPED UP? And Farmer H is building them a new chicken coop. I crack myself up sometimes.

I've had my mini-fridge at school unplugged so I can plug in my TV and show the physics-friendly Junkyard Wars. So I've been making a sandwich of things which need no refrigeration. Yesterday, I took a left-over grilled chicken breast. For that, I took a cooler. Unfortunately, we didn't have any of those fake ice thingies in the freezer, all of them lounging about in Ol' Man Fridge in the barn, after a trip to the science fair with the #1 son. So I took the next best thing, a freezer-burned hunk of hamburger wrapped in Glad Wrap and foil. When I came home, I tossed Grizzly the meatcicle. Necessity is the Hillbilly Mom of invention.

I'm not really here right now. I'm at the school board meeting, watching my son receive more awards, and handing out a few myself.

2 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

That is great that your son received recognition for his efforts..and I bet you are proud mother Hen... uncooped, lol

Hillbilly Mom said...

Cazzie,
I am prouder than the one-legged champion of a Butt-Kicking Contest!