Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Relaxed, Withdrawn, And Stabbed

Today was the first day of my Christmas vacation that I got to relax. If by relax, you understand that it means I only had to do six loads of laundry, whip up a pot of spaghetti for lunch, drive the #1 son to basketball practice, shop at The Devil's Playground and Save-A-Lot, and drive the #1 son to watch a basketball tournament. But really, it was better that sitting in freakin' doctors' offices like I did for three days last week, or driving around making bank deposits and paying bills, and calling the credit card company to see why an automatic withdrawal of $5,583.28 was taken out of our checking account. Is the suspense killing you? Yeah. It was killing me, too. The rep said, "Oh, that is a withdrawal from HH Manufacturing." Like that made it all better, finding out that HH's workplace had withdrawn a tidy sum of his hard-earned money. Then she went on to say that it looked like the company had direct-deposited his check like they do every month, but had also deposited that $5,583.28 for no good reason, and had quickly withdrawn it. Good to know.

Speaking of doctors' offices...Wednesday at 3:30 I go to see the ENT whizkid about my goiterous neck and its nodule. Nobody called me about my neck-stabbing results on Christmas Eve, as Doc and The Stabber had thought might happen. That kind of worried me, because even though The Stabber had seemed optimistic, I figured that nobody would dare call me with bad news on Christmas Eve. Except maybe my Gyno's receptionist/wife. So it was kind of a bittersweet holiday, what with me constantly remembering to worry about my mortality.

Monday morning at 8:30, Doc's nurse called and said she had just spoken to Doc (who was taking this week off), and that he said my stabbing test showed a benign pattern. That is good news, she said, as if I do not know the meaning of benign, though I certainly won't hold it against her. I called my mom and my HH, and tried to call my Mabel, but she was apparently not taking calls, being on a cruise or beach somewhere, enjoying a beverage with her ship-shape thyroid. But I noticed that Nursie did not say the nodule was benign, only that it showed a benign pattern. Still, I'm counting that as a rousing bit of good fortune. Until I see the ENT whizkid on Wednesday.

I am now concerned that Young Dr. WhizKid will say that the fine-needle biopsy was inconclusive (meriting a big ol' 'I told ya so' from Gyno's receptionist/wife), and that he still wants to go ahead with a course-needle stabbing. But maybe not.

We'll cross that half-empty glass when we come to it. Wednesday at 3:30.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and waiting to hear what Dr. Whizkid has to say...... my fingers are crossed!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Thanks for contorting your digits. Dr. WhizKid has a one-track mind.