Sunday, November 29, 2009

Holiday Countdown

Three weeks until Christmas break. It's a four-day week for me, what with having a date with some radioactive iodine on Wednesday morning around 7:30. I can not say that I am looking forward to that day off from school.

The #1 son has late practice all week. That means that Chauffeur H will have to pick him up at 7:00. My duty ends at 5:00. Except on Thursdays, which is conveniently Pro Bowler H's league night. Only a week until #1's first basketball game, where we will proudly turn out to watch him ride the bench.

On that note, let me add that after four weeks of practice with these boys, Coacher was overheard to instruct The Pony to come out and shoot his free throw at the end of practice. That's right. Four weeks, and he calls #1 by his little brother's name. His little brother, who never had Coacher for class, who never steps foot into the gym, and who has picked up a basketball fewer times than I can count on two hands. Yeah. Coacher is sure giving everyone a fair chance to earn those playing minutes. Guess it's kind of hard to remember the names of players you shove off to a side basket all day, every day.

Another thing that was overheard, while I was talking to a star's mom while waiting for practice to end 30 minutes late: "We only have 10 days until the first game! You should know these plays!" Just a suggestion, but perhaps the lads would remember the plays if they had practiced them for the past four weeks, rather than playing 4 on 4 every day. Uh huh. Just a thought, from a woman who does not know basketball.

Next weekend I will prepare my holiday Chex Mix for the grand poobahs and my advisory kids. We still have a Christmas Concert to attend, and four basketball games, and building a pen for the partridge in a pear tree that I expect Hoarder H to drag home from the auction. Thank the Gummi Mary, I talked him down from buying that llama.

I regret to inform my students that there will only be ONE more test until the quarter ends, not two. We have other things to do that will eat up the time needed to cover another chapter. It's OK. We have covered the CLEs. Anything goes! If you can't wing it at the end of the semester, just before Christmas break, after covering the CLEs found in that text, ready to check out the new textbook...when CAN you wing it?

I love this time of year.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Do I detect a note of sarcasm? Thought so. I am with you on the whole holiday madness.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Surely there is no hint of sarcasm in Mrs. Hillbilly Mom's tone!