Monday, August 24, 2009

More Evidence

If there was ever any doubt that Mrs. Hillbilly Mom is Even Steven, I submit the latest evidence.

Today we left school as soon as The Pony got off the bus, and I took the boys to get a Slurpee. They're only 88 cents, you know. I'd been enjoying a Crystal Light Wild Strawberry a couple times a week, but then the nearest 7-Eleven had the unmitigated gall to switch flavors for absolutely no reason. By cracky, I'll mitigate their gall! Eight flavors, and no Crystal Light. What's the world coming to? So to boycott their business, I took my boys to the other 7-Eleven, about 4 miles away. Because in Hillmomba, you can never have too many Slurpees or Big Gulps.

Well, the joke was on me, because the competitor likewise had no Crystal Light flavor. However, we were already there, and the #1 son wanted a large Blue Raspberry concoction, and The Pony, who seems to be coming down with something that is probably not swine flu, decided to try a half Blue Raspberry and half Cherry in a medium cup, because he wasn't sure how much he wanted, and I took a baby cup of some Orange Dream thingy. Never mind that no matter what size, the cost was 88 cents. We are not wasteful people. Except for that half gallon of Blue Raspberry that erupted out of The Pony's cup like the last day of Pompeii. Slurpee is quite unpredictable. Either you fill your cup to the brim and by the time you pay, it has settled to half a cup, or you leave expansion room and it swells up like Rosie O'Donnell after eating too much salt.

On a whim, because I had $60 left over from my weekly cash allowance last week, I splurged on a $20 scratch-off ticket. I have not been playing scratchers for the longest time. Our total, with a cheeseburger bite hot dog thingy for #1 that is in my opinion the unhealthiest food item on the planet, was $24.96. I paid, and we carried our icee goodness out to T-Hoe. The Pony was allowed to scratch the ticket, because I love him more, of course, as stated by #1 the minute I handed it over to The Pony. I did not have very high hopes, what with the odds on this ticket being 1 in 3, which are the best odds you can get on Missouri scratchers, but hey, I still had a 2 in 3 chance of losing. I am nothing if not a realist.

The Pony scratched slowly. Things looked grim. Then he announced, "It's a winner." He scratched the prize, and it was $25.

Yep. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom. Even Steven.

No comments: