Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back To School: Good News, Bad News Edition

After three days of preparing for another school year that is almost over, I have accrued some Good News, Bad News life lessons.

Good News
I have a new school laptop.
Bad News
I have no power cord.

Good News
The ceiling-mounted projector that I was supposed to have installed in January will be installed sometime this semester.
Bad News
We're waiting on the stimulus money.

Good News
My projector cart with the broken laptop and no sound was taken away last week by TechDude to be updated.
Bad News
I don't know where my projector cart is, and school starts tomorrow.

Good News
We did not have our annual Bullying Workshop on the first day of school.
Bad News
We had it at 9:00 this morning, during the last-minute rush before classes start tomorrow.

Good News
During lunch yesterday, somebody unlocked my 76 degree thermostat and set it on 72.
Bad News
During the break after school, before Open House, somebody locked my thermostat at 80 degrees.

Good News
Those thermostats are on a timer, and returned to 72 degrees this morning.
Bad News
Parents, students, faculty, and some powers-that-be were incensed at the sweltering heat during Open House.

Good News
I walked for 30 minutes after school today.
Bad News
It took me 45 minutes.

Good News
After school today, people gave me a new laptop power cord, my old projector cart, a lab safety brochure, and advice on my son's student calculator.
Bad News
HELLO! I'm walking here!

Good News
My projector cart is presumably fixed, and back where it belongs.
Bad News
I don't have time to get it set up for tomorrow, because I have duty.

Good News
I have duty on Thursdays now, and several of our holidays fall on Thursday.
Bad News
The first day of school is a Thursday, and I have to drop off The Pony a bit early at his new school, Basementia.

Good News

Our gradebook program will print out a seating chart in alphabetical or random order, showing pictures of the freshman and sophomore students, and names of the upperclassmen.
Bad News
I buy my own printer ink.

Good News
My Arch Nemesis offered me some desks and chairs that match the ones in my classroom.
Bad News
I have been trying for 10 months to get rid of the ones she gave me last year.

Good News
Once upon a time, my teaching buddy, Mabel, told me that if I ever needed glue sticks or rulers or scissors, they were right there in a cabinet in my room that uses to be her storeroom.
Bad News
The cabinets were LOCKED UP!

No comments: