Sunday, June 28, 2009

HM Is Part Of The Solution

Here's the problem with America today: cell phones. An entire generation is growing up with their nose in a phone. What's the deal with texting? Why not just punch in the goshdarn numbers and TALK to the person already? Oh. I know why. Because that would draw attention to you while you are doing something you are not supposed to be doing. Like students in a classroom. Workers on the job. Uh huh. That's what's wrong with America today.

As I left The Devil's Playground after my usual Sunday morning steambath, I spied a young man driving down the road toward me on a cute little orange scooter. Texting. I kid you not. The dude was shirtless, driving the scooter with one hand, laughing to himself and texting. He was one of my students from last year. That means he had ridden that scooter a good five miles to get to that point. Shirtless. Helmetless. Texting.

I call for the government to protect us from ourselves. Pass a law against riding motorcycles and scooters while texting. I can't text while teaching. That's not even quite as dangerous as riding a two-wheeled motor vehicle with one hand and no eyes. Newsflash! My entire generation survived without constant contact with the outside world. We were able to educate ourselves and work a 40+ hour week without an electronic umbilical cord tethering us to our families and friends.

MAKE IT STOP!

2 comments:

Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Yep. Not too long ago I was still holding out against getting a cell phone. In fact, I only got one when I did because I had a job that required me to drive all over the state, sometimes across long stretches of unpopulated areas, and my dad got me one for peace of mind. After only having it for a couple of months, I'd turn around and go back home to get it if I forgot it. I lived 23 or 24 years without a cell phone, and was fine. But I felt I had to turn around and go get it if it wasn't with me.

HM, we need to stop fighting and make this cantlivewithoutit mentality work for us. Now think-- what can we invent that everyone will want and people will instantly become dependent on? Someone already invented crack and cell phones...think!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Miss Ann,
All I can think of at the moment is a presidential voodoo doll. That takes care of half the population.