Thursday, March 12, 2009

Immature Boy Lost And Found

Two days ago, a student sealed himself in my classroom until the end of the year. Not literally. The door doesn't lock from the inside. He figuratively sealed himself in, due to some boneheaded behavior.

It all started when he asked to go to the library after his work was done. By which I do not mean to imply that it was done by HIM. This kid does not even read on reading day, when it is required for 30 minutes. I told him no, that he doesn't even read when told. He said that he DOES look at pictures in the Guinness Book of Freaks, or whatever you want to call it. I voiced my prediction that he would bring back the book, put it on his desk, and wander around the room talking anyway. He said no, that he would read it. I told him to go get a book and come right back. He agreed. Five minutes later, an actual reader asked to go, so I said yes. Reader came back, and said that he didn't stay, because the librarian was having a meeting with three other ladies. I asked if there were students in the library. Reader said, "There were some. But I didn't see Professional Victim in there." Aha! Exhibit A! A picture of the library with no Professional Victim. I tried to call the library, with no answer. Guess the librarian was in a meeting.

Professional Victim returned to the room about five minutes before the end of class. He had a reading book with him. "Have you ever read this book? I think it looks good. I'm going to read it." It looked like a book a girl might read.

Where have you been?
To the library.
You were told to come right back.
I did.
You were gone 22 minutes.
No way!
Yes way. Where have you been?
I was in the library.
I'm going to give you one more try to tell me where you've been.
The library. I told you.
(Attorney hollered out: Reader went to the library, and YOU weren't there!)
(Way to tip my hand, Attorney. I'm gambling here.)
Well, I WAS in the library, but I stopped by Mrs. Teacher's room. I talked to her a couple of minutes.
You mean 22 minutes. You weren't supposed to go anywhere except the library, and you were to come right back.
I don't know why you're making a big deal of it. Her room is on the way.
I'm going to check with the librarian to see how long you were there.

The big deal is that students can't just roam the building at will. If that was allowed, any kid that asked to use the bathroom could go play basketball in the gym. And maybe get hurt. A kid could sit in the janitor's closet and text to her heart's content. Or if something happened, how would we ever find a kid after a lockdown or fire or tornado or school invasion or whatever. They have to be where we send them. That's why they have a hall pass.

My plan time was next, so I headed to the library as soon as my class left the room. There was Professional Victim standing by Mrs. Teacher's door. "Getting your story straight?" He didn't answer. Mrs. Teacher said, "He was in here." Yes, well, I kind of figured that, once he confessed to it. There are cameras all over the building. My point was that he should not have been in her room at all. Two of her students had a fight that morning while Professional Victim was at tech school, and he had been asking about it from the minute he entered my class. I had a sneaking suspicion that he wanted the scoop straight from the horse's mouth, which was his sole purpose of the library trip. Which is not a good reason to be out of my class on false pretenses.

The librarian said she was busy with her meeting, and didn't notice who was in the library. I saw the writing on the wall, what with no evidence from the library, and Mrs. Teacher feeling that it was OK for him to be in her class for 20 minutes. I didn't have a leg to stand on. I went straight to talk to the principal, told him the situation, pointed to a write-up slip lying on his desk, and said, "I'm not even going to write it up, because Mrs. Teacher is going to vouch for him having permission from HER to be in her room. But the fact is that he was not where he was supposed to be, and I'm not letting him out again, and he will be crying about me treating him unfairly. Just so you know."

Oh, but it gets better. You'll have to wait until tomorrow for the sequel.

2 comments:

Stewed Hamm said...

Ooh! I love a good cliffhanger. Drama, intrigue, and illicit library browsing, always make for a good tale.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Stewthedramacontinues,
And next, a tale of denial, oppression, and a life-threatening brain disorder!