Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bill Kurtis Needs A Black Eye

Remember my coniptions over my crappy limited unlimited dial-up service from ButtMunch, Inc.? Yesterday, we tried to remedy that problem with a visit to the local A T & T store. My technology consultant, the #1 son, researched our options, and we found out that DSL is not available in our area through DISH Network, that we can't get Hughesnet, that there is no cable out here in the hinterlands, (though there probably is at the prison), and that we are pretty much screwed where high-speed is concerned. Thus, the A T & T visit.

I despise that A T & T store as much as The Devil's Playground. There is a different salesperson every time, they don't know what they're doing, they're slow, and they're kind of rude. Other than that, I guess they're OK. We drove all the way there yesterday, a 30-mile round trip for me, only to be told that since I did not open the account, I could not add a line and get that laptop connect card. Even though I was added to that account when #1 upgraded his iPhone, and all I had to do was give the salesgirl HH's SS#. Even though you can call A T & T customer service and do whatever you want if you give the right SS#. So we had to drive all the way home, and HH had to drive over there after work to do what I could have done while I was there. Plus, the salesgirl argued with #1 when he told his dad he could have all our computers hooked up to it. She must not understand local networking.

Now, about that A T & T laptop connect card... I could not find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I did not see Amelia Earhart's plane, and the abominable snowman did not come out to frolic with me. Michael Phelps would have been on his second lap around the world's oceans while I was drowning. Andy Roddick would have broken a tennis racket over my head. And Floyd 'Bunny' Mayweather would have knocked me out in the first round. That laptop connect card is a piece of crap. The salesgirl that afternoon had told me, "The speed right now is about like dial-up, but when we get 3G down here at the end of the year, it will be faster." First of all, they've been stringing us along on that 3G promise since last year at this time with the iPhone. Second of all, I already have dial-up speed, so what could it hurt?

Au contraire. What she must have meant to say was that the laptop connect card was not even dial-up speed. #1 ran some kind of speed check thingy that I don't understand, and his iPhone, even without 3G, gets 200 of something, and my dial-up gets 24.5, and that piece of crap connect card got 11. I don't know what units that is in. I don't understand this newfangled technology. Give me an old crank phone and an operator at a switchboard, and I'm good to go.

The good news is that #1 called customer service this morning, and they said to take it back to the corporate store, where they would void the 2-year contract, refund the cost of the laptop connect card, and they should not charge us the $36 restocking fee, because we had it less than 3 days of that free 30-day trial period. Oh, and he also told #1 to just say that it didn't work in our area.

Good news is, after another 30-mile trip, and a 20-minute wait, they did just that! I know. I can barely believe it myself. The manager was on the prowl greeting customers as they entered, and a couple hours later we got a phone survey about our service. Funny, that coincidence.

We have a Sprint adventure to share with you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Chickadee said...

Sounds like #1 son should be the one working in that AT&T store.

A few months ago I had to take my phone in to get replaced at AT&T. Geez I felt like I was going in to a used car sales lot.

The dude looked up our acct and instead of replacing my phone, TRIED to push me into upgrading our service. (this is where I get biotchy and not feel bad about the way I behave) Hey jerkwad, I came in for a new phone. Do you really think I can upgrade my service if my phone doesn't work?

Those people really annoy me.

Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

only to be told that since I did not open the account, I could not add a line and get that laptop connect card. Even though I was added to that account when #1 upgraded his iPhone, and all I had to do was give the salesgirl HH's SS#.

Agggghh! Same thing happened to me with AT&T! My dad wanted me to have a cell phone back in 04 when I had a job that kept me on the road a lot, so he gave me his credit card number and told me to get a phone. I did, and gave them MY ss#, but had it billed to his credit card for the first year. (Then I finally grew up and started paying my own bills.) Anyway, the acct was in MY name, had MY social, but somehow they screwed up and put my dad's name on it just because it was his credit card. I noticed the problem pretty early on and called them, but it never got fixed.

I could never do anything with that account-- including close it when Tim and I decided to go to Alltel. I had to have my father call the store several times before they figured it out. Numbskulls. AT&T is a customer service nightmare. Glad you got your money back.

So you're still connecting through Buttmunch, Inc., right?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
I found out why they were so nice to us this time. The manager had made a comment when we walked in, like, "Oh, you're here again? We've seen you about three or four times this month." Which is true. And I'm sure she remembered that I was cranky. But here's the deal: #1 said that there was a corporate lady walking around with a clipboard. Uh huh. They were getting evaluated. That explains their niceties.

I kind of wish I had shouted, "This thing is a piece of crap and you guys knew it and didn't tell me!"


Miss Ann,
Indeed, I am still with Buttmunch, Inc., since I am paid thru August 16. But I am shopping around and as soon as I get a new email account set up, I will dump Buttmunch like a hot potato.

A T & T is as arrogant as our president. That iPhone deal is a bunch of crap. The second iPhone problem for #1, a couple in the store had just gone through all the song and dance to get a new iPhone, and then were asked which credit card they were using. They said none, they wanted to pay cash. And those freaks wouldn't sell them their iPhone. They MUST use a credit card. Crap crappity crap!