Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Rude Awakenings

Some people are in for a rude awakening. Even if they haven't been asleep. It is time once again for the failing grades people to stay after school and make up their failed work. A little bird told me that a bunch of them were no-shows. And no sooner had I exclaimed, "I HATE this new gradebook system!" than the principal walked past my door on the way to greet the detainees. That little bird told me that he looked over his long list, surveyed the room, and commented that a few people seemed to be missing.

Join me in the gleeful rubbing of hands. I love justice.

I also love it when a kid who makes little effort, and who tells me that he did the math wrong because that's how I showed him to do it on the board, necessitating a walk to the board and close inspection of the example I left there, sighs, and asks, to nobody in particular, but in earshot of Mrs. Hillbilly Mom, "When can we get out of this stupid class?", initiating the response from Mrs. HM, "Oh, you're in here all year. I can't take you out. I didn't put you in. You put yourself in here with your grades and MAP scores. I just take whoever they give me, so I can work with them ALL YEAR."

Yep. I love it when that happens.

No comments: