Monday, September 8, 2008

My Name Is Hillbilly Mom, And I'm A Nobody

Welcome to my pity party. Sorry I didn't send out invitations. I was afraid no one would show up.

I am the invisible woman. A nobody. I don't matter in the big scheme of things. Kids think they can get out of my Algebra class and be put in Choir. Really. Other teachers (ahem, Mr. S) have actually said in front of me, "Well, that's just for the core teachers." HELLO! I've been back to coring for two years now.

It seems like only yesterday that I volunteered to work the after-school program in Basementia, for FREE, mind you! For freakin' FREE! And was told, no, core teachers will have the first shot at that. Never mind that I have a Biology degree, and a 'core teacher' might be working on an elementary degree with certification in his/her subject area. Heavens to Betsey! We can't have Mrs. Hillbilly Mom working on middle school worksheets willy-nilly. How can she possibly help these failing kids? She is not even a CORE TEACHER!

And when such positions were hashed out at Newmentia, once again Mrs. Hillbilly Mom was left out in the cold, for others to take extra hours for career ladder, or earn $20 per hour. That's OK. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom stays after school to keep up with her regular work. Nobody pays Mrs. Hillbilly Mom. Which explains why she gets cranky when students are sent to her room to ask for work that they should have gotten in class. But that's beside the point today.

The point is that Mrs. Hillbilly Mom has gotten used to being a nobody. So don't come to her NOW and inquire as to whether she wants to take on part of this after-school program. Because she doesn't. M-O-O-N. That spells you can take this job and...offer it to someone else who has been nobodied for the last four years. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom does not want your crumbs, your leftovers, the wretched refuse of your teeming classrooms.

Unless she is asked by her administrator, and then she will do her fair share in a workmanlike manner. Because that's the kind of gal she is.

No comments: